- 2 pinches Rumi Spice Afghan saffron threads
- 1 yellow onion, minced (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 white mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted White Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- flakey sea salt (to taste)
- 1 Tbs smoked Spanish paprika (aka pimenton)
- 1 Tbs oregano
- Place saffron threads in a bowl and add 1 cup of hot water. Allow the saffron to steep for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add onion, pepper, garlic, mushrooms and olive oil to a pan and cook on medium until onion turns translucent or about 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa, 1 cup of saffron-infused water and an additional 1 cup of water (in total: 2 cups of liquid) and bring to a rigorous boil.
- Cover pot and simmer on your stove's lowest setting for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest (still covered) for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, smoked Spanish paprika (don't skimp on the Spanish paprika as it infuses the dish with an intense smoky flavor) and oregano.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.