Duk boki are Korean rice cakes, traditionally prepared with kochujang, kochukaru, garlic, sugar, and soy sauce. These versatile morsels can be enjoyed with cabbage and mushrooms, as part of a Buddha bowl, or all on their own. In our version, we've replaced rice with protein-rich Toasted Quinoa Flakes and used Mother In Law's Sesame Gochujang Sauce for layers of delicious flavors.
Quinoa Cakes ("Duk Boki"):
- 1 large Idaho potato
- 3/4 cups of I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa Flakes
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 4 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp Mother-in-Law's Sesame Gochujang Sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Sesame seeds
- Sesame oil
- Green onions (optional)
- Boil potato in water for 30-35 minutes.
- While potato is boiling, make sauce by combining gochujang, soy sauce, coconut sugar and rice wine vinegar.
- Once potatoes are finished cooking, let cool and remove skin.
- Run potato through ricer (or use a hand grater). Make sure there are absolutely no potato chunks in the mix.
- Separately, grind 1 tbsp of whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder and combine with 4 tbsp of water, mix and let sit for 5 minutes to make flax egg.
- Grind 3/4 cups of quinoa flakes in a coffee grinder to make quinoa flour.
- Add quinoa flour, arrowroot flour and flax egg to potato and mix by hand until a dough forms.
- Roll into 6 balls and then roll out by hand in to 1/2-inch diameter batons.
- Cut up each baton into 3-inch long slices (similar to Korean rice cakes "dok bokki")
- Boil in batches in salted hot water until quinoa cakes float to top of pot.
- Remove from water and let sit on a cutting board for a few minutes. Pat with paper towels to absorb excess water.
- Toss in sesame oil on a non-stick pan and cook over medium heat. Let the quinoa cakes' skin crisp for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sauce to the hot pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Allow the sauce thicken and coat quinoa cakes evenly. Transfer to serving dish and and top with sesame seeds and chopped green onions (optional). Makes 12 quinoa cakes pieces.