Our vegan spin on paella swaps in fluffy Toasted Quinoa for rice, loads in the veggies and tops it all off with the most amazing vegan sausage from Herbivorous Butcher. If you find yourself in Minneapolis be sure to visit their storefront, or you can order Herbivorous Butcher products online.
- olive oil (for pan)
- one onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 & 1/2 cups Toasted Quinoa
- 2 sheets seaweed
- handful dried cremini mushrooms
- pinch saffron
- 3 cups water
- 2 links Herbivorous Butcher vegan sausage (flavor of your choice) cut into slices
- 2 artichoke hearts
- handful hominy corn
- handful of pitted olives
- freshly squeezed lemon
- a few pinches of oregano, smoked paprika, sea salt
- parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until they begin to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, tomato, and parsley - cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add Toasted Quinoa, seaweed, mushrooms, saffron and water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While that simmers, heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the vegan sausage so that both sides get crispy and browned. Set aside.
- After you simmer the quinoa mixture, turn the heat off and keep the lid on. Allow the quinoa to rest for 10 minutes, soaking in all those flavorful juices.
- After 10 minutes, top the quinoa with the browned sausage, artichoke hearts, corn, olives, a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of spices, and dig in!