If our Quinoa Tempeh Cakes with Saffron Broth sounded scrumptious, but intimidated you a bit, this is a good baby step into the one-two-punch of saffron and quinoa. Eat this savory dish all on it's own, or top it with your favorite veggies and extra protein. Check out our friends at Rumi Spice to pick up sustainably harvested saffron!
- 2 pinches Rumi Spice Afghan saffron threads
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted White Quinoa, dry
- 2 cups water
- salt (to taste)
- Slivered almonds for garnish (optional)
- Place saffron threads in a bowl and add 1 cup of hot water. Allow the saffron to steep for 5 minutes.
- Separately, add onion and olive oil to a pan and cook on medium until onion turns translucent.
- Add quinoa, 1 cup of saffron-infused water and an additional 1 cup of water (in total: 2 cups of liquid) and bring to a rigorous boil.
- Cover pot and simmer on your stove's lowest setting for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest (still covered) for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover. Fluff with a fork and top with salt.