The Herbivorous Butcher goes through all the trouble of making faux meats and vegan cheeses from scratch, it just wouldn't be right to throw their jackfruit "shredded chicken" on any old sandwich roll. So we made our own - from Toasted Quinoa, of course. Can't make it to Minneapolis? Fear not, because The Herbivorous Butcher can ship most of their products - order online!
Ingredients & Directions:
Quinoa Bread (3 Sandwich Rolls):
- 3/4 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted White Quinoa, ground into flour in a coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) quick acting yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together all ingredients by hand and knead into a dough (about 5 minutes of kneading).
- Roll dough into a ball, rub with olive oil and let sit in a bowl covered with a dampened towel for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough ball gently into a long baton. Do not over work, otherwise the fluffiness created by the yeast will dissipate.
- Cut baton into 3 pieces, form into rolls, and bake on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Peruvian Aji Verde Sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green chili
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- juice of 1 lime
Blend all ingredients in a food processor.
To assemble sandwich, slice open quinoa bread. Brush with a light layer of vegan mayonnaise. Layer on Herbivorous Butcher Vegan Jackfruit Chicken, pickled red onions (red onions, red wine vinegar, and a dash of sugar), aji verde sauce and avocado slices.