Chicago-based companies highlighting unusual ingredients? You know we're about it! That's why we were so excited to team up with Upton's Naturals on this jackfruit and Toasted Quinoa recipe. Jackfruit, if you're scratching your head right now, is a massive tree-borne fruit with a unique, meaty texture. (Think shredded chicken or pulled pork - only vegan!)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs cumin seeds
- 2 Tbs aji amarillo (found in Bolivian/Peruvian section of Latin grocery store)
- 1 (10oz) package of Upton's Chili Lime Carnitas Jackfruit
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of fresh fava beans (aka 'habas', found in produce section of Latin grocery store)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of cooked I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (soaked in ice water for 15 minutes to remove the bite)
- 1/2 tomato, thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Saute onion, garlic, cumin seeds, and aji amarillo in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add jackfruit, tomato sauce, fava beans, and water and simmer on low in a covered pot for 20 minutes.
- Serve atop cooked Toasted Quinoa, and garnish with a mixture of thinly sliced red onion, freshly-cut tomatoes and lime juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Accompany with side dish of roasted fingerling potatoes, if desired.