Serves 3 or approximately 15 meatballs in total.
Toasted Quinoa Vegan Meatballs:
- 1 cup cooked I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa (White or Tricolor) (cooled)
- 1 cup cooked green lentils (cooled)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (aka Spanish pimenton)
- sprinkling of sea salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- olive oil
Mushroom Gravy Sauce:
- 2 cubes BOU Mushroom Gravy bouillon
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1.5 cups water
- olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the lentils, quinoa, almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, thyme, mustard powder, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor until a course paste-like dough is achieved.
- Roll dough into meatball shapes by hand (approximately 1 tbsp per meatball) and place on prepared baking tray. Brush with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes (turning the meatballs halfway through the cooking process).
- In a separate pan, sauté mushrooms in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Place bullion cubes in a fine-mesh sieve and gently whisk through the sieve into the water. A thick gravy should form.
- Finish with lemon juice and fresh thyme and remove from heat.
- Coat vegan meatballs in warm mushroom gravy sauce.