If you're on a mission to make 2018 your healthiest year yet, you might want to pick up a copy of Dr. Michael Greger's latest, The How Not to Die Cookbook. Inside you'll find more than 120 plant-based recipes including this one for a hearty soup made with protein-rich quinoa (in our case, Toasted Quinoa) and kale. Subbing our Toasted Quinoa in this recipe allows you to skip two steps (rinsing and draining) and adds a subtle nutty flavor.
Makes 2 (2-cup) servings
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or two 15.5oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) BPA-free can diced, unsalted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp Savory Spice Blend
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chopped red kale
- In a large pot, heat 1 cup for the brother over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and sweet potato.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, quinoa, beans, tomatoes, Savory Spice Blend, herbs, black pepper and remaining 3 cups of broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and stir inthe kale.
- Cover and cook until the quinoa and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Serve hot.