We've been playing around with fresh fruit tarts as a way to satisfy the sweet tooth without white sugar and bleached flour. This time we made a delicate, flaky crust from Toasted Quinoa Flakes and topped it with ripe pears (most varieties are in season right now). Top your slice with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream, or a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
- 1 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa Flakes, ground into flour in a coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- sprinkling of sea salt
- 2/3 cups coconut oil (semi solid, chilled in fridge for 15 minutes)
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 2-3 super ripe pears, unpeeled, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the filling, combine pears, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, coconut oil and lemon juice together in a bowl. Let sit and marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix quinoa flour, rice flour, coconut flour, arrowroot powder by hand.
- Add salt and coconut oil and continue to mix.
- Slowly add cold water (1 Tbs at a time) until the mixture clumps together clumps like wet sand.
- Form a dough with your hands.
- Press dough into a fluted pastry tin (9" or smaller).
- Top crust with marinated pears. Pour any remaining liquid from the marinade on top of pears.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool on counter to room temperature and then store in fridge.
Garnish with coconut cream, ice cream or just plain powdered sugar (all optional).
Note: This vegan and gluten-free crust is a tad bit more fragile than a classic tart crust that would otherwise use butter or wheat flour. Handle with care.