A good granola is hard to find! So many are loaded with sugar you might as well eat candy for breakfast. We prefer to make our own using Toasted Quinoa Flakes for a nutty flavor and a boost of protein. Swap in gluten-free oats to make this recipe gf-friendly.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 Tbs ground cinnamon (or 6 pieces of bark, freshly ground)*
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (or 4 whole pods, freshly ground)*
- 1 tsp ground cloves (or 4 whole sticks, freshly ground)*
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- sprinkling of sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 340 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla on medium heat until mixture starts to bubble.
- Add to dry ingredients (oats, quinoa flakes, coconut flakes, cashews, almonds, and spices) in a mixing bowl, and stir until well combined.
- Spread on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (stirring the mixture at the halfway point to make sure the granola doesn't burn).
Serves 8 (~1/2 cup servings)
Note: Do yourself a favor and grind your own spices. We use an $8 coffee grinder and it makes all the difference. Buy your spices whole (cinnamon bark, cardamom seeds, clove sticks) and store them in airtight containers. When you're ready to use them for a recipe, grind them in a coffee grinder for intoxicatingly fresh flavors.