Today is National Peanut Day! It's the perfect time to stop and appreciate the strange little food behind your favorite snacks like peanut butter and banana sandwiches, trail mix and, Peanut Butter Chocolate Puffs!
Five Weird Peanut Facts
- Despite the name. peanuts are actually legumes, and belong to the same plant family as beans and peas.
- There are six cities in the U.S. named Peanut: Peanut, California; Lower Peanut, Pennsylvania; Upper Peanut, Pennsylvania; Peanut, Pennsylvania, Peanut, Tennessee; and Peanut West Virginia.
- I Heart Keenwah uses 50 lbs of natural peanut butter and 300 lbs of peanuts to make a batch of Peanut Butter Cacao Quinoa Clusters.
- In the U.S. peanut and peanut butter comprise 67% of all nut consumption.
- Peanuts are often touted as a good source of plant-based protein, but did you know peanuts also rival the antioxidant content of blackberries and strawberries, and are far richer in antioxidants than apples, carrots or beets?
What's your favorite way to enjoy peanuts? Tell us in the comments!