Just when you thought you might lose your mind from being trapped inside since October, our co-founder Sarah drops some knowledge about ways to chase the winter blues away in Chicago!
Every year around this time, I ask myself why oh why I didn’t pack up and head west, or south, or southwest, or anywhere actually other than this godforsaken frozen tundra. But us Chicagoans are tough folks. Here’s a few things I do to help make it through the winter:
1. Sledding. I make staying in Chicago worth it by having fun with the snow! There are great hills that strike fear into little hearts at Montrose and the Lake Shore (aka Grasshopper Hill), Lincoln Park Lagoon, and Warren Park.
2. Winter warmers. After sledding there’s nothing better than a hot toddy or an irish coffee to warm you from the inside. I curl up next to the fire at The Grafton or snuggle into a well worn booth at O'Shaughnessy's Public House.
3. Indoor soccer. I get the kids tired out and break a sweat myself at Lil' Kickers.
4. Shedd Aquarium. I’m a diver, and the wild reef exhibit at the Shedd Aquarium is the closest you can come to an actual dive while you’re still on land. All the fish I’ve traveled the world to see (frog fish! Harlequin shrimp! Leopard shark!), are right in my backyard. Plus they keep it nice and toasty.
5. Cheap movies. Remember when movies didn’t cost $20? The Davis is my favorite theatre, where the tickets are only $9, and you can buy beer! Sure the seats are lumpy, but that’s part of the charm. (Update: The Davis is temporarily closed for renovations - goodbye, lumpy seats!)